Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Time's Flying By...

I've already been in Peru for three weeks, crazy I know, and I'm still having new experiences. Last Saturday I went to a beach club, which happened to be my first time ever at a club. Not only was it my first club experience but I got to go in the VIP section! I knew a girl, who knew a girl, who knew a guy, who knew a guy. I guess that six degrees of seperation has some truth to it! On top of getting into the VIP section we were filmed while dancing. I felt like I was at MTV spring break.

Another thing I've learned while down here is that Peruvians love Peru, NE. Everytime I mention I'm from Nebraska the next thing I hear is, 'From Peru, NE'!? Or, 'Have you ever been there before'!? I can't even count how many times I've been asked this question. The reason Peru, NE is so well known here is that a group of famous Peruvian chefs, singers, entertainers, etc. visited Peru, NE and shared their Peruvian culture with them and made a video of the experience. Who would have ever thought Peru, NE would rise to international fame like that. It's so popular that we even discussed it in my coversation class here in Lima. I was even given the task of researching the huyaño, a dance that is featured in the video. The huyaño is a traditional native dance that is popular in the andean region. It has some pretty sweet music also!

A small, but noteworthy, event happened to me the other day as well. I was crossing the street and was passing an elderly lady when I heard 'Joven, dáme brazo' which means Young man, can you give me a hand. I told her of course and she grabbed my elbow, which was quite a stretch for her, and walked her across the street. I felt like I was trying to earn a cubscout badge or something!

Here's the link to the Peru video. It´s mainly in Spanish but entertaining none the less:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8joXlwKMkrk




No comments:

Post a Comment